Last week, the Crockpot was my best friend. I had been neglecting it for some time now because I wasn’t in the mood for any of my go-to recipes. I knew I had a busy week ahead and would need to pack more meals to take with me to school and meetings rather than enjoying them at home. I decided the Crockpot was my best bet for making a dish for the week that’s easy to pack and take with me when needed.
Since I was tired of my usual recipes, I started to search for a new one to try. After flipping through magazines and perusing the web, I got the idea to make an old italian favorite in my family, sausage and peppers! I had a pack of sweet italian turkey sausage in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I grabbed it, along with a few other ingredients, and got to work.
The final product turned out super yummy and tasted pretty much like the “real” thing (by “real” thing, I mean the long process of the original recipe )
I enjoyed my sausage and peppers over mashed cauliflower and quinoa for lunch, in a whole wheat sprouted roll for a snack, and with added broccoli and quinoa over spinach leaves for dinner one night. Mom and Mitch also thoroughly enjoyed it throughout the week! They had the typical sausage and pepper sandwiches
This recipe will definitely become a go-to one for us! There are so many different ways to enjoy it that it’s hard to get tired of Not to mention it’s super yummy and comforting
Here’s the recipe so you can give it try!
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
By February 5, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4-5 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs 30 mins
- Ready In: 6 hrs 40 mins
Good Morning! Happy Tuesday :) Last week, the Crockpot was my best friend. I had been neglecting it for some time now because I …
- 1 lb italian turkey sausage sweet or hot
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper sliced thin
- 2 14.5oz cans no salt diced tomatoes regular or fire roasted
- 20 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-1 tsp dired oregano
- 1/4-3/4 tsp crushed red pepper depending on how much heat you would like
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 turns black pepper grinder
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly or any beans you prefer
- ** optional sub diced tomatoes and seasonings (minus the salt and peppers) for 1 jar of your favorite low sugar tomato sauce and omit the corn starch
- Preheat a saute pan to medium-high heat.
- Cut the sausage links into bite size pieces. Brown sausage in the saute pan on all sides until just cooked through.
- While the sausage is browning, add the remaining ingredients to through the corn starch to the crockpot.
- Add in the browned sausage, turn the crockpot on low, and set it for 6 hours. Go on with your day.
- At the end of six hours, take out the sausage with a slotted spoon and set in a bowl on the side. Whisk in the cornstarch into the remaining sauce in the Crockpot. Add in the beans, give it a stir, and turn it on high for 30 minutes more.
- When finished, add the sausage back in and give it a stir. Serve over cooked brown rice or pasta or enjoy it with extra added veggies and quinoa - the possibilities are endless!