I have a new recipe for you today!
A couple weeks ago, I was really in the mood for some chili. However, I wanted a different kind from my usual lean beef kind. I pondered the idea of swapping the beef for lean turkey, but it didn’t sound appealing at the time. So, I started looking through my cookbooks and searched the web. I decided to take my usual chili recipe and make a few changes to switch it up.
Lately, I’ve seen recipes using ground chicken as the meat, and ones where sweet potatoes were incorporated into. Instead of making just one change, I decided to combine the two above and make up my own concoction hoping that it would turn out tasty. O boy, it was delicious!
The mix of sweet from the sweet potato and the spice of the chipotles paired wonderfully. The chicken was a nice change in both texture and flavor – it allowed for the spice and sweetness to stand out a bit more
The aroma when I walked in the door after a long day was amazing .. I couldn’t wait to dig in. I made some yummy homemade cornbread to go with it – chili and cornbread are like peanut butter and jelly in my mind Some steamed broccoli on the side to add some color!
The recipe makes enough for multiple meals, so I definitely enjoyed this for a few other lunches and dinners. I even switched up what I had it with so I wouldn’t get tired of it (even though I love my cornbread ). Here, I mixed it with some cooked whole wheat pasta for a pre-11-mile dinner!
Aside from being super delicious and versatile, it’s one of the easiest meals to make! Sautee some veggies and brown the meat, toss it into the crockpot with the rest of the spices and liquids, and turn it on and let it cook. How much easier could it get?! Here’s the recipe so you can give it a try and see what I’m talking about
Sweet Potato Chicken Chili
By February 12, 2013Published:
- Yield: ~ 6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 5 hrs 50 mins
- Ready In: 6 hrs 0 min
Good Morning! I have a new recipe for you today! A couple weeks ago, I was really in the mood for some chili. However, I wanted …
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1.3 lb lean ground chicken
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 medium/large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 15oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and liquid reserved
- 1 15oz. can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Chipotle chile, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2-3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 turns black pepper
- 2 tbsp no salt added tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- a drizzle olive oil
- Preheat a nonstick skillet with a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions and peppers and satuee until just translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the rest of the ingredients into the crockpot.
- Add in the ground chicken to the veggie mixture and break up into small pieces while it browns - about 5 minutes. Once browned, add in the cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour chicken mixture into the crockpot, cover, and set to high for 5 hours. Once finished, enjoy it with cornbread, over rice, or on it's own - the possibilities are endless!